Monday 25 July 2011

Monday music .......... my desert island disc collection part 12

The last day of term was emotional as I said goodbye to two colleagues who were retiring, Sue and Barbara. Our school is a close knit community and both will be sadly missed after 34 years of blood, sweat, tears, laughter …..and EXCELLENT TEACHING. 
 Sue is unfailingly smiling and very positive, and although a mathematician, has been a fantastic teacher of science. Barb is my assistant Head of Science (but more importantly, my friend), and I have worked very closely with her for 27 years. In that time we have job shared, brought up our families, taken holidays together and shared very happy, and also devastatingly sad times. Barbara is one of the best teachers I have ever met, and I feel like half of my 'double act' has gone. I hope my Hardy can survive without her Laurel!

Both are loved by fellow teachers and their pupils. I've chosen this version because it was recorded at Live Aid 1985 (although without Neil Young - which gives me an excuse to choose a fantastic Neil Young track in the future). The coincidence is that Barbara and Sue were both born in the same town and went to both school and college together. Today's choice of music is for Barbara and Sue.



I know that they have both made the right decision, but life without them will be very different .......



3 comments:

  1. Hello Gaynor:
    What a very generous and hearfelt tribute to two of your work colleagues. We do hope that they will enjoy a very long and happy retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awful for you, but how nice for them. I hope you'll find new colleagues just as nice and efficient to work with. Good luck to all of you! Martine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sure that although they are retiring you will still be in touch. All those years can't just vanish into thin air :-) Diane

    ReplyDelete