Sunday 25 December 2011

MERRY CHRISTMAS ...





This beautiful carol, imagining the Nativity in a snowy Northern landscape, was originally written by Christina Rossetti as a Christmas poem in 1872.
Few carols express the quiet heart of Christmas more movingly. It was set to music by Gustav Holst in 1906, the poignant and simple tune is known as ‘Cranham’. I'm not religious but this is my favourite carol.


Another equally lovely tune was composed by the organist Harold Darke in 1909. It has the unusual distinction of varying the melody from verse to verse. You can find this version here.

Wherever you are 
I wish you all a very
happy
and 
peaceful Christmas.




4 comments:

  1. And a peaceful, happy and contented day to you from both of us... and all the very best for 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gaynor, hope you had a good day. Wish I could listen to the carol but this slow connection just will not let me!!! Enjoy the holidays. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. A favourite of mine too. Enjoy HS, Christmas 12 days and onwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favourite too, SP

    ReplyDelete