Thursday 31 May 2012

A mystery solved ...

The prodigal son, aka Tom, has returned from Colorado. Mum, aka me,  killed the fatted calf and turned it into lasagne and ginger trifle (one of said Tom’s favourite suppers). Girl, aka Rhiannon, came to welcome Boy home and pick up her box of Lucky Charms. I've missed their conversation around the house.

 
Tom has spent some time this week looking through old photograph albums so I’ve decided to pick out a few featuring the fledgelings before they flew the nest. They aren’t fantastic pics because my technicians, aka Tim and Tom, are at a Taylor guitar roadshow in Birmingham. The scanner is on strike so I've photographed the photographs. Ingenious or what?

  21 years ago at Tom’s Christening.

 Domme, in the Dordogne.

Dressing up in the garden.

And the mystery? Not only does Tom get his favourite food, but also his favourite shower gel.

 Perhaps I’m trying too hard…

14 comments:

  1. Clearly a great welcome home for Tom....I love the idea that his sister's American memento was Lucky Charms. I am always required to bring them back for my daughter when I go to the US. We have even investigated posting boxes across the Atlantic. I'm sure you had a wonderful time, all together, the photos are lovely, and I'm sure he deserves his favourite shower gel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice,
      In fact in my spares cupboard are original Source shower gels in every flavour - all bought when on half price offer.
      A couple of weeks ago I had to have 'words' with Tim who'd dared to help himself!

      Delete
  2. SweetpeainFrance31 May 2012 at 22:28

    How lovely that you can prepare a few of his favourite things...and why not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely memories! And new ones in the making created by Tom and Rhiannon's visit. Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhiannon's visit was only for the meal as she has her own house about 10 miles away. Tom is here until July when he sets of to Japan for 3 months, then it's back to sunny Lancaster!

      It wasn't like that when I was at Uni ...

      Delete
  4. I think you might have made up for any overdoing of the treats by posting a photograph of him as a 6 year old in a dress! I've never heard of Lucky Charms, btw - I suppose I could look them up though...

    The kids look happy, and that's a lovely photo of you all for Tom's christening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan!

      Tom was only about 3-4 at the time, but tall for his age. At six Rhi would never have persuaded him into the dress, but at three there was no stopping him! I like the dress/wellies combo.

      BTW Lucky Charms are a cereal with dried marshmallow pieces. Yuk... but they bring back memories for the kids.

      Delete
  5. Brilliant pic with Tom in dress and red wellies--they really complete the outfit!! ;-)
    I remember Lucky Charms; thought they were great when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somewhere I'll probably have a pic of me wearing Rhiannon's dressing up dress and Rhiannon wearing the spotty one!
      I never did see the charm in Lucky Charms.

      Delete
  6. Lovely pictures, Gaynor - specially the dress and wellies one - but also the recent one of your two together looking very happy. I think it's OK to spoil them from time to time too...!
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom's friends find it very amusing, particularly when they look at all 6'3 of him today!

      Delete
  7. I don't think you can try too hard when it comes to adult kids coming back to stay for a while. I am not entirely objective I confess :)

    ReplyDelete