Thursday 20 November 2014

Fungi…

When we got back to the UK the first job to be done, after sorting the heating, was to rake up the leaves from the gardens and driveways. The leaves filled seven of the very large (one tonne) builders bags, and are still falling!

P1010975

As we were raking we came across a few fungi on the lawn areas.

We’d had a couple of walks in France with friends, Colin & Elizabeth and Susan & Simon, where we’d spotted some wonderful fungi. Feeling an ignoramus I ordered a couple of books to aid identification.

P1010983

They are good with lots of excellent photographs and information, but don’t include a key. A key would help to narrow down the identification and is always a useful tool to get started.

P1010999

P1010997

P1010986

Honey fungus.

P1010993

Dog lichen.

P1010995

P1010996

I think this is a Waxcap of sorts. Parrot perhaps?

P1010991

6 comments:

  1. #5 is honey fungus; #6 is dog lichen, waxcap seems reasonable for #7-8. Is that green staining on the stalk real or a photographic artefact? I assume it's real, and therefore is diagnostic for Parrot Waxcap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. Have updated with your identifications.

      Delete
  2. They look amazing. In France, I'd just pop into the local pharmacy where they have a chart at this time of year, telling you what is safe to eat and what isn't. Also I know a friend of mine was organising a fungi recognition course, just as we were leaving Caunes.....something I'd be really interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just noticed its 9 degrees C everywhere that's important to you ....what a coincidence. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interested too. My friend Susan is a mine of information and she regularly blogs about organised fungi forays in the Touraine.

      Now the temperatures ate 7, 8 and 9! Tom says temperatures in Kagoshima have suddenly dropped.

      Delete
  4. We've had all sorts of fungi in our garden, but I'm not brave enough to try any even with my book, which is frustrating as I love mushrooms. Need an expert to guide me x

    ReplyDelete